Sunday, April 7, 2013

Writing prompts for early finishers

I just wanted to create a quick post to share this idea for early finishers. I created this container for writing prompts that students can use to write about when they finish an assignment early. I simply took an empty automotive wipe container, decorated it, and filled it with writing prompts. You could also use a big mason jar, a pringles container, an empty can, a vase, or anything you have available. I found the writing prompts here for free: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Journal-Prompts-FREE She has over 200 prompts here for grades 4-7. Thanks Ruth S! Once they are downloaded you have the option of printing them in large rectangular pieces or thin strips. For my container I chose to cut them into small strips.

Here are a few of the prompts that are inside, so you get an idea of what they would write about:



If you were the main character, in a story you’ve read, what would you have done differently?
If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
Who’s your favorite relative, and why?
If you could meet a character from a story, who would it be?
If you could meet a famous person, who would it be?
If you could live in a certain time, would it be the past, present or future?
What is the ideal pet?
If you were President of the United States, what changes would you make in the country?
Describe a time when you were brave.
If you could have dinner with a famous person, who would it be?
If you could be on a game show, what show would it be?
If you had a super power, what would it be?
If you could redecorate your bedroom, what would it be like?
What’s the best piece of advice someone has given you?
If you could take three friends with you on vacation, who would it be and where would you go?


1 comment:

Ruth S. said...

Hi Renee! I hope this comment is posted. I tried a few other tines but it didn't work.
Thank you so much for posting my 210 Free Journal Prompts! I love the way you set them up in the container!! What a great idea! I also love your blog and wish blogging was popular when I was in college. I would have loved recording my experiences and thoughts as you do.
Keep in touch!
Ruth